There may have been a malthouse and brewhouse in Teddington in 1657.
The Royal Oak, now 172 High Street, is listed in the licensed victuallers list of 1726. The property is mentioned in 1654 but without description. It was sold to the Cole brewing family in 1770. The property which fronted directly onto the street was rebuilt and set back on the site in 1936. the property has again been rebuilt (now called Sammy's Bar and Restaurant) fronting the street, with housing at the rear.
The Clarence Arms Inn, later The Clarence Hotel and now The Park Hotel, was earlier known as The Greyhound and appears as such in the licensing lists of 1729. In 1795 it was briefly called The Guilford Arms after the Earl of Guilford then living in Bushy House. After his death the business was named after the next occupant of Bushy House, the Duke of Clarence. The property was rebuilt in 1863 and temporarily closed in 2000 for extensive refurbishment and building works and is now known as The Park
Several pubs came into existence between the 1830s and 1850s. These include The King's Arms at 69 High Street thought to date to c 1853 and renamed in recent years as The Clock House. There was a beer shop at 6 Broad Street in 1839 and by the time of the 1851 Census a beer shop at this address was called The Britannia. The premises were later rebuilt and the name changed in the 1960s to The Hogarth. The Anglers at the north end of Broom Road was in existence by 1853 and has since been greatly enlarged. The Queen Dowager on the east side of North Lane was known in 1839 as the Jolly Sawyer. In the 1851 Census it is called The Queen Dowager after Queen Adelaide who lived in Bushy House when she was a widow. The pub closed in 2011.
Many of the beer houses were built after the Manor of Teddington was sold in 1862. This released much land and the population soared, aided by the arrival of the railway in 1863; a population of 1183 in 1861 rose almost four-fold to 4063 in 1871. The Adelaide in Park Road was open by 1863 and The Railway hotel (recently The Bloated Mallard) opened in 1867. The Queen at the corner of Broad Street and Queen's Road was built in the early 1860s. It closed in the 1960s and became a laundrette. The Roebuck at the west end of Hampton Road dates to c 1871.
As Teddington continued to be opened up for housing, further pubs were built. The Builders Arms in Field Lane opened in 1865 and probably catered originally for builders and other tradesmen working in the area. The Mason's Arms in Walpole Road opened in 1869 and the Red Lion in Stanley Road was open by that year as was the Horse and Groom in Waldegrave Road, since closed and converted to Pizza Express
In Church Road the Abercorn Arms opened by 1868 and The Willoughby Arms on the corner of Argyle Road and Church Road, almost opposite, in 1869. Tragically The Willoughby was totally destroyed by a bomb in November 1940 and a number of people were killed including the licensee and his two children. The Waldegrave Arms in Waldegrave Road at the corner of Shacklegate Lane opened in 1871 and closed at the beginning of the 21st century and has been redeveloped. The Lion at the corner of Wick Road and Cross Road (now School House Lane) dates back to 1876.