The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers


Riverside, Twickenham, Twickenham

Two houses built
1679 *Susannah Lowe > 1704
1681 Trustees of Anthony Death Charity;
1701 New Trustees admitted
1704 *John Grey
1707 *D Sherborne, "queen's oyle man" > 1713
1738 New Trustees admitted
*Jane Vernon (d1742) from Twickenham Park
1751 *Mr Lionel Spencer Berkeley
1751 New Trustees admitted
1751 *Mr Whitfield
1752 *Countess of Suffolk (a 60 year lease)
?*Kitty Clive
1755 *Dowager Countess of Denbigh (d1769) and;
*sister, Marchioness of Blandford
1761 Henry Probyn
1769 *Frances, widow of Sir George Browne
1771 *Lady Anne Conolly (1713-97), moved to Copt Hall
1774 "Probyn late Lady Anne Connolly"
1780 Durbank
1781 New Trustees admitted
1782 *Baynton late Probyn
1783 Mrs Probin (Samuel Lewis) >1786
Mrs Mills
1788 John Slingsby (d1790), "late Probyn" (Southend House 1789)
1789 *Mr Forbes, late Lady Browne
1799 Clay, "late Slingsby"
c1800 Houses rebuilt as a single dwelling
1820 *Viscountess Ashbrook, Emily Theophila née Metcalfe (1790-1885), 2nd wifeof Henry Jeffery Flower (1776-1847), 4th Viscount
1833 *Mrs Henrietta Moore, 87, widow of Lorenzo Moore, Col. of the Battle-Axe Guards in Ireland
1837 New Trustees admitted
1846 *Rev C Moore
1850 *Horatio Nelson Fisher
1870 Duc d’Aumale
*Mrs F Fisher, widow (d1878)
1877 Property enfranchised; L W Englebach
1878 *Mr Stephen Grant
1900 Mrs Grant
1927 Mrs Nellie Ionides (d15 Nov 1962)
1963 Twickenham Borough Council under the terms of the will of Mrs Ionides
1963 *Andrecj & Camilla Panufnik
2004 Lady Panufnik (purchased from LBRUT)

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.